Imerovigli is a village on the island of Santorini, Greece, adjacent to the north of the island capital Fira. Imerovigli is mostly famous both for its amazing sunshine and its beautiful sunset, that it is called “balcony to the Aegean”. Its houses are built amphitheatrically around the caldera and it is crossed by narrow, paved paths.
Imerovigli has many lovely churches, all made in the Cycladic architectural style. They most notable are the church of Ai-Stratis, in the centre of the village, and the Monastery of Saint Nikolaos, on the way connecting Imerovigli to Fira. Another famous site of Imerovigli is Skaros, which are the remains of a Venetian Castle built in 1207 by Jacopo Barozzi, the ruler of all Cyclades islands that time.
Skaros was one of the five fortified settlements and the most important one. At that time it was referred to simply as ‘Kastro’ (castle in Greek).
The rock was inhabited in medieval times, because the fortress built there offered protection from pirates.
Skaros was the capital of Santorini until the 18th century, although evacuation of Skaros started at the beginning of the 17th century. The promontory at Skaros has been shaken repeatedly by strong earthquakes, particularly the one of 1650.